Narrative & Network Building Contractor
Title: Narrative & Network Building Contractor
Location: remote – California
Compensation: $35-45/hour based on experience
Project Start Date: Early April
Project End Date: Currently funded for 9-months with the possibility of extending and full-time employment.
CFFN Mission and Description
The California Food and Farming Network (CFFN) is building a movement centered on racial equity to transform the food and farming system through state policies.
CFFN was founded to address a gap that has kept our movement from being more powerful. While some of our member organizations are small in size or scope, we understand that the food system is expansive and complex; worker rights, farm production methods, environmental justice, and hunger are all interconnected, but often addressed in silos. Seeking justice, equity and sustainability requires that we bridge these divisions, bringing together organizations to confront big ag, chemical and food companies that otherwise drown us out in the California state capitol.
Our success as a multi-sector, multi-racial network where unlikely collaborators take collective action has stemmed from our creation of shared values and an intentional structure that centers BIPOC leadership (learn about our process here, values here, and structure here). With this grounding, we effectively advance policies that push the boundaries of singular member organizations’ missions and seek to transform inequitable systems.
Narrative & Network Building Contract Summary
Since 2016, we have built strong internal structures and relationships to communicate across issue area silos with a team of two staff, supporting our Network to develop shared values and vision that have resulted in successful state food and farming policies. It’s now time for us to build power with allies outside of our 50-member network to make change that benefits all of California. We believe that Shifting the Narrative–one of our four values–is an essential part of advancing transformative policies to achieve our vision for an inclusive, equitable, and ecologically regenerative food and farming system. With two staff focused on policy advocacy and network management, we are excited to have additional Network capacity to invest in communications and narrative strategy.
We are seeking a Narrative and Network Building Contractor to help guide the development of CFFN’s long-term communications and narrative strategy, as well as contribute to our small team’s vision and capacity as network weavers. Our ideal candidate is ready to reassess existing communications processes–and build new ones–to take advantage of new opportunities and build the team’s narrative muscle. They also recognize the power of systems thinking, are deeply committed to advancing racial justice within organizations, movements, and policy, and are willing to sit with conflict and discomfort in order to facilitate growth and collaboration.
The Contractor will work closely with CFFN staff, coalition members, and allies to develop and implement communications strategy for priority policy campaigns. They will receive direct supervision from CFFN’s Directors. We currently have funding for this contractor for 9-months at between 32-40 hours per week with the possibility of extending and full-time employment.
Description of Services
- Narrative Strategy
- Guide the development of CFFN’s long-term communications, culture shift and narrative strategy and vision
- Support narrative development for policy campaigns for Network and grassroots partner priorities, as appropriate
- Maintain, update and expand network website and social media channels
- Write blogs and establish a regular e-newsletter for allies
- Develop a strategy for earned media
- Develop materials for outreach, education, advocacy and engagement, such as info sheets, event flyers, public facing legislative agenda, internal strategic materials like theory of change, and Network language library, etc.
- Coordinate with additional consultants, vendors, and contractors to oversee graphics, writing, editing, and promotion, as needed
- Assist grant/proposal writing
- Network communications
- Contribute to network staff team strategy related to Network member communications
- Meeting facilitation, including monthly meetings, working groups, and ad hoc strategy sessions
- Membership management, including onboarding new members, managing dues payments, member communications, and updates to member list
- Coordination of special and in-person events, including arranging logistical details, collaborating with CFFN staff on agenda and facilitation, and communications and publicity
Required Skills & Experience
- 2 + years of experience in coordinating or managing strategic communications and communications planning
- Strong written and visual communication skills, with a knack for conveying stories through words and graphics
- Strong organization skills (including project, time, and task management)
- Excellent cross-cultural skills, including competency working with and communicating across lines of difference, including with communities of color, poor and low-income communities, immigrant communities, and between sectors with differing tactics
- Experience creating materials for different audiences, including advocates, allies, policymakers, and funders
- Comfort working independently and remotely
- Demonstrated capacity to shape narrative and issues through proactive messaging and outreach
- Commitment to advancing social and racial justice
- Comfort with Google Workspace and social media platforms, particularly X (Twitter) and Instagram
Desired Skills & Experience
- Experience in coordinating or managing strategic campaign communications and communications planning
- Existing relationships with relevant press and media outlets
- Knowledge of California food systems issues
- Knowledge of California state agencies and legislative process
- Web and print design skills
- Experience working in coalitions, and with either housing, labor, abolitionist, gender justice, reproductive justice, or other social justice movements.
- Some familiarity with website tools such as WordPress, ActionNetwork, Canva, and Adobe InDesign
- Some familiarity with video editing
- Facilitation of multi-stakeholder processes
This is a 1099 Contractor Position
$35-45/hour for 32-40 hours per week
9 month contract with the possibility of extension and full-time employment
This job is remote and applicants must permanently reside in California.
To submit a proposal
Please send a resume and cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position to email@example.com with “Narrative & Network Building Contractor” in the subject line.
Proposals will be reviewed as they are received on a rolling basis, with final submittal by Sunday, March 3rd. We expect to conduct interviews between March 11th-22nd. Anticipated start date early April.
CFFN is a fiscally-sponsored project of the Community Alliance with Family Farmers (CAFF). CAFF’s policy is that all persons are entitled to equal opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation. We strongly encourage those from diverse backgrounds and from historically underserved communities apply.